|STATUS: Playable||Steam Store Page: click here|
|Wine Versions: 1.3.9||Run: from Steam|
|Windowed: YES||Fullscreen: YES|
Library override mmdevapi = disabled (needed to fix no sound problem)
winetricks StrictDrawOrdering=enabled (can help stop flickering)
Audio > Hardware Acceleration = Emulation
Applications > Windows Version – Windows Vista
Because the game configuration app doesn’t work from the launcher, to manage more advanced setting you have to edit the DragonAge.ini in your /user/Bioware/Dragon Age/Settings folder manually
DisableMRT=1 (optional – can cause character shadow flickering)
Enable DLC: (thanks Durin!)
editing the addins.xml file located in user/Bioware/Dragon Age/Settings.
Change every RequiresAuthorization=”1″ to RequiresAuthorization=”0″
RUNNING THE GAME:
After using the above settings the game runs fine – though still experience stuttering during opening movies – so I simply edited the game config file to turn them off.
At first the launcher kept crashing or popping up an error box – so I looked in the game files /Steam/steamapps/Dragon Age Origins/data/launcher folder and saw the background music was in WMA format – I just renamed the file with extension .off
I ran winetricks PhysX, dotnet2sp2 and dotnet30 – though the dot net installations both crashed… I also ran the DirectX installer directly from the steamapps/common/dragon age redistributable folder… that actually seemed to get the game to launch… though the videos didn’t play and there was massive flickering on the opening menu and loading screens…
To try and fix this I used winetricks strictdrawordering=enabled as suggested by others – though this did not work 100% for me…
I cleared all the Wine Config libraries and only installed winetricks d3dx9 and d3dx10 – after that the game launched fine with intro movies and no flickering… but still no sound. With Wine version 1.3.11 I did not need the direct x overrides to play – though intro movies do flicker a bit which is not a problem as game plays fine.
Character creation also crashed after the first screen until I set Wine to run as Windows Vista – from there the game could be played… though at the time sound still wasn’t. I tried using just ALSA and just OSS and also just eSound with no results… also tried switching between audio hardware Full / Emulation… I checked and made sure DragonAge.ini (in your /user/bioware/settings folder) contained SoundDisabled=0 … still no sound… after some digging in the WineAppDB I went back into libraries and set “mmdevapi” to disabled as suggested by others… and sound worked… all good from here!
- No configuration from launcher – have to configure in-game.
- Camera movement using right-click+mouse is hyper sensitive and erratic… lowering the sensitivity in control configuration helps a little – though it’s difficult enough that I avoid using it…
- Some flickering during cut-scenes / intro movies
- Some character shadow flickering – though setting DisableMRT=0 in game ini caused less flickering.
13 Responses to “Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition”
Leave a Reply
If you have anything to add to this game test, please feel free to comment. Do post your Wine Version, Linux Flavour and graphics card drivers = NVIDIA or ATI! Help each other out and be nice to one another :)
You must be logged in to post a comment.